The Ten Commandments on Design - Dieter Rams
Dieter Rams is one of the highly regarded German industrial designer and here is his interesting and thoughtful ‘ten principles of good design’.
- Good design is innovative
- Good design makes a product useful
- Good design is aesthetic
- Good design makes a product understandable
- Good design is unobtrusive – Product’s design should be neutral, unemotional and subtle, and it should just fulfilling function. In other words products are neither decorative objects nor works of art.
- Good design is honest – Products should not promise functionalities or features that can not kept.
- Good design is long lasting
- Good design is thorough down to the last detail
- Good design is environmentally friendly
- Good design is as little design as possible – Product design should focus on the essential aspects and functionalities